I’ve been in one heck of a funk today. Every few months I find myself in the throes of an existential crisis, and today I’ve been hit again. This was the first day that I have actually typed the words “existential crisis” into google, and came across a wildly unhelpful list of instructions called “How to Deal with an Existential Crisis” (Trust me, drinking cool water doesn’t help, thanks for the advice though). Anyway, I was in my office this morning throwing myself a little pity party, when I decided I had to get out of there for a bit to clear my head.
On my way out to my early lunch I passed two homeless people, and then I felt like a horrible person for feeling sorry for myself when I actually have a pretty great life, so now for the rest of the day I’m going to try to focus on the major ways in which I have been blessed.
1. My husband. Who else will sit in their office and talk me down from a meltdown in the middle of their crazy hectic day of lawyering (I didn’t even ask him what happened at his hearing this morning because I’m a buttface)? Also, he’s just so darn handsome!
2. My home. It’s safe, it’s (occasionally) clean, and it’s filled with love. Also it’s close enough to my office that I spend my lunch breaks blogging and watching TV if I’m having a bad day. It breaks my heart that there are people who don’t have that, and it kills me that I have the nerve to be sad when I do.
3. My friends and family. They’re fun, they’re nice, and they’re always there for me. I’m lucky to have them.
4. My job. It’s not my favorite, and I’d love to do something else, but I have a good one and it affords me a lot of luxuries.
5. Simple pleasures. There are so many little things that make me happy.
I also love my Hipstamatic iPhone app!
I hope all of you are having a happy day, and I hope you’re doing a good job appreciating what you have 🙂
P.S.- An awesome quote to consider: “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” Thank you Ralph Waldo Emerson for that one! Also, another blog to put a smile on your face…check out “1000 Awesome Things.”